Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Thursday, July 14, 2011

Photo of the Day: July 14

July 14
ISO 800, f/6.3, 1/160s, 18-55mm lens
Our 5th Monarch butterfly emerged this morning.  She was waiting for us when we got up.  Especially since we've all been sleeping in lately.  *ahem*  Must get back on schedule soon!  Anyway, I took her out first thing and placed her on these flowers/weeds, since most of my other flowers are withering from lack of rain.

Monarch butterfly #5
Her wings were still wet and a bit weak, so she wasn't ready to fly away yet.  I couldn't get a photo of her with her wings open unless she was in my hand.  So there you go ... proof that she's a female.

Oh, and I found another little caterpillar last night while on the bike trail!

For those of you who might be new here and are wondering about my obsession with Monarch caterpillars/butterflies and milkweed (the caterpillars' food), we successfully raised 34 Monarch butterflies last summer and are hoping to raise more this summer.  Here's a post that contains a photobook that I made once we were all done with our butterflies last year.  


After I made the photobook I found out how to tell the males and females apart, so most of my pronouns are incorrect.  I wasn't going to go back and change them.  It is what it is.  I learn something new about them almost continually, so the mistakes in the book are all just part of my journey.

Also, how do you like the bigger pictures?  Are they too big?  Since I changed my blog, I noticed that I had more space on the sides, so I decided to try bigger photos.  But if you don't care for them that big, please let me know.  Thanks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Gorgeous. I really want to do that. So neat. Is it too late to get one now?

Misty said...

What a fun hobby. Beautiful!

Ashley Sisk said...

So so beautiful!

Gretchen said...

Gorgeous!! Love the bokeh in the first shot... woo! I really need to get out and find some for us to raise... maybe next summer. So dry here too... the rain the other day was definitely needed! OH... and I like your big pictures!!!! =)

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

You're so smart Kimberly. I especially love the first shot--the bokeh is "da bomb". She's on the same weeds I took a picture of last week--now I feel a kinship with you. :) Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

SKCPhotos said...

Awesome!! Gorgeous images.