Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Thursday, February 9, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday - Foodtography

So I'm still not quick enough to get the Tutorial Tuesday post up ON Tuesday or even Wednesday, but I'm a little quicker this week than last.  :)

Anyway, I wanted to try out this week's TT because it is about foodtography, which is an area that I am seriously lacking.  My kitchen was the ugliest, darkest kitchen and was just not good for photographing food (or anything else, for that matter).  It is still not a good place, mainly because it is almost completely gutted right now.  But we're making progress.

Hopefully when it is all done, it will be much more photo friendly.  And it is kind of funny that when I've been picking out cabinets and countertops, sinks and faucets, backsplashes and lighting, always in the back of my mind has been "will that photograph well?"  Please tell me I'm not the only one who does that.  :)

But I digress.  So since my kitchen is currently a sucky place for photography, I pulled out my lightbox from last week's tutorial and used it for a couple photos.

Kiwi
I waited until Nick got home from school the other day because I knew he'd want some of the kiwi that I had just bought.  He loves kiwi.  I think he ate all of the last few that I bought.  It almost killed him that I cut it up for him then walked away and asked him to wait a few minutes while I photographed it.  This isn't the most creative shot, but I was under a little pressure to get that starving boy his kiwi.

Conversation Hearts
While I had the light box out, I photographed some conversation hearts I had just purchased for the upcoming Valentine's Day party at school.  I'm Room Parent for Nick's class and we'll be using these for a game we will play.  When I was done with them, I let Keira eat them since I'm not eating sweets.  Plus I don't really like conversation hearts anyway.


For both of these photos I used my 18-55mm kit lens.


And just for fun, here's a photo I took of some yummy pumpkin cookies back in September.
September 22
My husband had some trim drying out on the deck so I took advantage of the makeshift table and photographed these.  The tree across the road provided some beautiful bokeh.  Those look really good to me right now!


And one more just for fun ...
December 8 - half
I took this for Ashley's Scavenger Hunt back in December.  I like the simplicity of it.

This was fun but it is definitely an area that I need some more practice in.

Be sure to head over to Branson's and Ashley's to see some great foodtography.
Tutorial Tuesday

11 comments:

Rainey said...

These are all great! I need to make a light box, even though my camera isn't fancy, that might help a little bit for me to get close up shots.

Kalyan said...

Simply beautifully captured shots...timeless!

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Oh Kimberly, you did a wonderful job. My next photo project is to build a light box. I already know what to do, I just need the time. Maybe next weekend. Your food looks delicious.

Laura said...

Great pictures Kim!

I looked up that tutorial on the light box last time you mentioned it. I'll be trying it sometime.

And I am pretty sure that I hardly take any pictures in the winter because my house is the ugliest house ever and has NO natural light and everything has an orangish tint because of my walls. Ugh! I'm always thinking about how I will paint my house when I finally get around to buying one. I have a feeling it is going to be very plain and neutral for a loooong time!

karren said...

This makes me want a light box. I like that first one of the Kiwi an the last one of the apple.

Kaylene said...

beautiful, love the simplicity.

reyah said...

Wow, this is beautiful...i used to study photography before but due to the high cost of SLR camera at that time...i stopped.

Unknown said...

luv your valentine hearts!

SKCPhotos said...

Love the valentine hearts shot. Great composition.

ELeeds said...

Great shots. Just reading all the info on building a light box and plan to build one soon. :)

Holly said...

Love these shots...especially the valentine hearts!