Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Monday, January 10, 2011

Shoot & Edit Challenge - Week One: Winter

Since I'm stepping out of my comfort zone and pushing myself to grow more this year in my photography and editing skills, I have decided to participate in more challenges.  The only way to learn is to practice, and I need to be challenged in order to practice.  And since my editing skills are very beginner level ... Remember in Kung Fu Panda when Po tells Shifu that he wants to start training at Level Zero?  Well, that's me ... at level zero.  But the only way to go is up, right?  So that's a good thing.  :)


Anyway, I saw this new challenge and thought I'd join in.  The idea is that you post your SOOC (straight out of camera) shot on Monday, follow Ashley's advice on how to edit the photo, then post the edited masterpiece {fingers crossed} on Thursday.  This week's theme is Winter.


No problem there.  We've got plenty of winter going on here in Western Pennsylvania.  In fact, we've got some more winter coming our way tomorrow and Wednesday.  :)  Yes, Kathryn, my friend, it's coming your way too, so brace yourself.  Stock up on milk, bread, and TP!!  And frozen pizzas!  What are you waiting for?!  Go!  Now!  Or you could just wait until tomorrow since it is getting pretty late.


So without further ado, here's my SOOC shot for this week's Winter theme:




The boys and I went for a walk through my neighbor's fields and woods this afternoon to get some exercise (since I skipped the gym this morning) and so I could play around with Exposure Compensation on my camera.  I shot this in Aperture Priority mode because I read in my camera manual (yes, I did actually break out the manual!) that you can't use Exposure Compensation in Manual mode.  Only A, P, and S modes.  And after watching the video that Jill posted about getting good snow photos (thanks, Jill!), I wanted to play.


We all had to wear hunter orange on our walk because it is hunting season and Doug and Nick were concerned about us walking back there without it.  Even though our neighbor doesn't allow anyone (except Doug and Nick) to hunt on his property, rednecks have been known to be stupid sometimes.  No, really!  But you'll be glad to know that we made it back without incident.


I took this photo because it cracks me up how Alex (pictured) has to zig zag all around when he's walking through the snow ... making as many foot prints as possible.  And he never really picks up his feet either.  So there are just two paths where he has been.




Tomorrow I will get to work on my edit.  Being so new to editing in Photoshop Elements, I hope I can keep up!  See you back here on Thursday!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a gorgeous shot! I love the snow prints leading up to your little boy! Love it. Can't wait to see your edit! xo

Jill-FNA Photo said...

So glad you are joining in. We are getting more snow tomorrow and you just reminded me - I better be sure that we have TP. LOL!!!!

As a mom of 9 we tend to go through a bunch of that. As you can imagine...sigh! :-)

I love your shot!

Stay warm and be safe!
Glad the videos and tutorial helped you!
Jill

Melissa said...

i love your shot! this would be a good challenge for me too! i think i would learn well this way. Except, i have NO IDEA what i would take as a winter shot... it is getting colder...maybe we'll have some snow flurries?! (Doubtful.)

Anonymous said...

I actually decided to back off on some challenges! LOL Not sure why I found that so funny! Anyway, great shot but I LOVE the one directly below~

kathryn said...

Aw, honey....how sweet of you to mention me. I suppose the fact that I adore this shot should tell you just how good you are (and how cute Alex is), since you're fully aware of my feelings about this season.

I believe that during this snowstorm, we were snowed in for 2 days...and I couldn't believe da boys had 2 consecutive days off of school!

I can't wait to see your gorgeous work with that camera in the SUMMER!