Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Monday, October 18, 2010

Preschool's Field Trip to the Farm

This morning Alex and I got to go on another Preschool Field Trip.  This time it was to a local farm.  This great couple opens up their farm to the preschool every year.  We went last October and had a great time.  This year was just as fun.

The field trip was originally scheduled for last Friday, but due to the windy and rainy weather, it was moved to today.  We were actually excited about that because Daddy had today off of work and would be able to join us.  Except that Nick got up this morning and didn't feel well so he stayed home from school.  (That doesn't happen too often - I think he only missed 1 school day last year.)  Alex was disappointed that Daddy had to stay home, but I told him that we should be glad Daddy was able to be home with Nick so we could still go.  Although I was bummed too.

It was pretty cold this morning, so we layered up before we left.  And we even broke out the mittens and gloves.  When we first got there we had time to play on the tractors and visit with the goats and bunny.  

Alex loved the combine because it reminded him of Frank from Cars.
  
There were 2 goats in the fence.  They were a little scared but we coaxed them over so Alex could pet them.

The farm's owner, Mr. S., told us that this bunny weighs 13 pounds!  That's a big bunny!

We walked back up to the barn just in time to get on the wagon for the hay ride.  
We almost missed it!

We rode out through their fields and saw a grouse or something fly away.  And we also saw a bunch of huge marshmallows ... that's what Alex called the round hay bales that were covered with white plastic.

After the hay ride it was craft time!  But first Alex needed to play in the hay a little.

I asked one of the other moms to take a picture of us working on the craft.  I'm not sure how she managed to take such a poor picture but this is what I got.  I had to crop a lot of space off the top and you can't see what we were working on.  Oh well.  :)

Alex working on his necklace.

The finished product ... a necklace made out of corn cob pieces and acorns.  Mr. S. drilled a hole in each piece for us.  Talk about a labor of love!

Alex with one of his classmates, Taylor.  His mom and I joke around about them getting married someday.  :)

After crafts we played on the tractors some more.

Driving the big tractor.



Alex was so excited to sit inside the cab of the combine.

Right after this my camera lens broke.  (My 18-55 lens).  I was trying to zoom out so I could get the entire combine in the picture while Alex was "driving".  But it wouldn't budge, so I forced it.  Not a good idea.  There is a piece rattling around inside now.  :(  I did have my 55-200mm lens in the car, but I didn't bother to walk down to get it since we were almost done.

We ate a nice lunch of hamburgers and hot dogs cooked on the grill, then the kids each got a treat bag and a small pumpkin to take home.

We thanked Mr. and Mrs. S. for their hospitality before we left.  It felt like the end of an era since this was Alex's 4th and last trip to the farm (2 while Nick was in Preschool, and 2 while Alex was in).

It was chilly and cloudy most of the time while we were there, although the sun peeked out a little.  But there were no rain drops until after we left.

We are thankful for such a nice time!

God is good!

2 comments:

Life is 5 Minutes Long said...

Looks like great fun. We are still very warm here. But, I managed to get away witha sweater this morning:) Hugs to you both. Love, Jenn

Laura said...

Frank from Cars! Nice. I love that whole scene. Tractor tipping. Genius.

Sounds like a great field trip! Sorry to hear about your lens. :( I hate when camera stuff breaks.