Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Saturday, May 22, 2010

I DID IT!!!

I am so pumped!

I finished my first 5K race this morning!  Praise God!

A pre-race pic w/Alex.

Running with about 400 other people.  Well, some were walking.

I don't know how I placed.  The results aren't posted on the website yet.  But according to my handy-dandy heart rate monitor, I finished in about 35 minutes.

Woo hoo!

And I had to walk some because of the hills.  They were tough!

It rained about the first 1.5 miles, but then it was just cloudy the rest of the run.

There was a water booth at the 1.6 mile mark.  That's the first time I got to drink out of paper cup and throw the cup on the ground so I could keep going.  I thought that was pretty cool.  I'm strange, I know.  It's just that I teach my kids to dispose of things properly.  So I felt a little hypocritical, even though someone was there picking up the cups.  :)

It was such an awesome feeling having people cheering for me as I approached and crossed the finish line.  Doug and the kids were there cheering.  And total strangers.  Cheering.  For me!  How cool!

Keira took this picture with my little pocket camera.

That was awesome!

So I reciprocated.  Once I caught my breath and got some water, I stood there and cheered.

So much fun!!!

Doug left shortly after.  He worked midnight shift last night so he was going on no sleep.  He sent me a text message once he got home (I didn't get it until I got in the car to leave), that said congrats.  So sweet!

So the kids and I stayed for the after party.  There was a really good band playing by the finish line.  All kids.  Teenagers I guess.  The guitarist was really, really good!  They all were!

Alex was so excited that there were tubas there.  He loves tubas.  And trombones.  And trumpets.  And drums.  I think I have a future musician here.

We had some snacks and drinks and cheered for the ones that won medals.  Then there were prizes given away.  I didn't get a medal or a prize, but I didn't care.  I was just so proud to have done it.  I did get a finisher's ribbon which, along with my number, will go in my scrapbook.

Nicholas keeps hugging me telling me how proud he is.  Awwwww!

Now I'm going to take a shower and just relax today.  Bask in the glow.  :) 

We're ordering pizza for supper tonight to celebrate.

And I'm looking forward to the next race!

EDITED TO ADD:  The race results are up!  I ranked 293 out of 401 overall and 13th in my age/gender category!  I finished in 34 minutes!  That's about what I do on the treadmill at the gym!  (Average of 5.5 mph)    If you want to check it out, search for number 305.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Yeah!!! Congratulations!!! I LOVE that pic of you crossing the finish line! Love it!

Melissa said...

Awesome pics! Congrats!!!!! :) :)

Debbiedoos said...

Wonderful, and congratulations to you...what an accomplishment, I have never participated in one...maybe someday.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh~! I am so proud of you I am nearly tearing up!!! Great job!!!!!!