Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What now?

You may or may not be aware that I was a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator for just over 6 years.   I signed up in October 2003 when Nicholas was just 6 months old.   As with any business, I had good times and bad.  I certainly struggled from time to time.  But I also prospered much of the time.

As 2009 was coming to an end, I decided to let my business go.  In order to stay a demo you need to have $300 in sales per quarter.   I didn't have anyone knocking down my door to order and I certainly didn't need anything.   And I didn't want to try to solicit orders from anyone (which I probably would have had success with if my customers knew I needed to qualify).  So I chose not to qualify myself (by buying from myself).

It was getting harder to get out to do workshops and classes with Doug's shift work.  I always needed to work around his schedule or find a sitter, which isn't easy (or cheap!) when you've got 3 kids that need watched.  The days he was off, I wanted to spend them with him rather than running out to do a show.   Family was is more important!

As of January 31, 2010, I was no longer a demonstrator.  (SU gives you an additional month to get your sales in - or else it would have been official as of 12/31/09).

I was at peace with my decision.  It had been a great 6+ years.  I met a lot of great people that I probably would not have met otherwise.   And I learned a lot about stamping and scrapbooking.   Two things I will probably always continue to do.

But the funny thing is once the decision was made to let it go, I got several phone calls and emails from customers wishing to place an order.  I almost ... almost ... decided to keep going.  To accept their orders to keep my now-faltering business going.  But I had already decided.  So I referred them elsewhere ... to a few friends/associates who are still demonstrators.

It was hard at first.  I wondered if this was God's way of telling me I should hang in there.  Did I mess up?  Did I make the wrong decision?  If so, why was I at peace with the whole thing back when I made the choice?

Two days ago a customer that I hadn't heard from in about 2 years called me and wanted to place an order.   She said she was trying to find me on the SU website but was unable.  So I explained the situation and once again, I referred her elsewhere.  She understood and was grateful for the referral.

A friend/customer of mine spoke to me in church on Sunday.  She said, "I'm so sorry you are not going to be a demonstator anymore!"  To which I replied, "Don't be.  I'm not."  :)

The past week or so, I've been clearing out some things ... mainly stamp sets ... that I have been holding on to for one reason or another.   Thinking that some day I will use them.  Ha!  Who am I kidding?

FlyLady would call this decluttering

It feels so good!   I've got sooooooo much stuff ... so many stamp sets ... it is just amazing!  I could never use them all even if I stamped every day (which I don't!)!

I created another blog (yeah, I know!) so I could list my items for sale without messing up this blog.  It is only temporary until I unload some things, then I will close it.

So if you know someone who is a stamper or a scrapbooker, send them to my other blog.   There are many stamp sets listed now and I'm sure there will be more coming as I clean out some more stuff.

Many people are asking me what I'm going to do now.  To which I reply ... nothing.   Preferably nothing.

I don't want to sell anything ... Mary Kay, Arbonne, Creative Memories, Tastefully Simple, etc.   Not that I don't love (or at least like) products from each of those great companies.  I do.

I just want to relax for a while.   Spend time with my family.   Learn more about photography and my camera.  Read.  Scrapbook.  Organize.  Whatever.

And then?  Well, we'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I used to be a SU demonstrator. I have so many stamp sets which are going on Ebay this month. (Unlike you though I held onto mine for several YEARS before finally saying they had to go!)

Laura said...

Love the pics up top. :)And I was thinking I want to make my blog wide like this too. How do you do it? I prob won't make the change for a while but it's next in the planning.

Jenna said...

Well good for you on the decluttering thing! I need you to come declutter my house!!!

I didn't realize my life yesterday was like a country song until you pointed it out! haha! Maybe my boyfriend Casey James will write me a song and sing it to me on AI..ha!