Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Thursday, January 21, 2010

X-rays and blood word and IV’s! Oh my!

First of all, let me apologize for the somewhat graphic nature of this post. You’ve been warned. :)

Our sweet Honeybuns hasn’t eaten anything for a few days. Monday is the day she stopped eating her dog food, in my estimation. She hasn’t been drinking water either, which is just not good. And she’s been sleeping way more than usual. She’s just lethargic. She doesn’t want to play or go outside. Nothing.

So this morning Doug and I took her to the vet to get checked out. My suspicion is that she ate something she shouldn’t have (a sock, a towel, part of a blanket, the head of a dinosaur toy, a mitten, etc.). Yes, she has been known to eat things like these.

My sister-in-law gave Alex some new socks for Christmas (among other things) because I told her that he could use some since they kept disappearing. She joked about just giving them straight to Honey and skipping the middleman.

She likes Alex’s socks the best.

Anyway, we explained the situation to our vet, she checked her out, pulled a glob of feces from Honey’s butt and said that the feces was “definitely fibrous of some sort.” Eeeeeeuuuuuwwwww!

Oh and by the way, when she was a puppy, Dr. Love (yes, that is my vet’s name – cool, huh? I always start singing that KISS song when I hear her name.) - anyway Dr. Love said Honey would be lucky to get to 70 pounds as an adult. She weighed in at a hefty 94.4 pounds today! Yikes! And she’s probably lost a couple pounds from not eating the past few days!

After an X-ray of her belly, she couldn’t see any specific obstruction. So she recommended blood work to rule out any other possibilities and IV fluids to get things … um … moving.

So we left the vet without her … something that is very hard to do because the last time I had to leave a pet at the vet’s (with the exception of Honey’s spaying), the pet didn’t come home. Ever. We had to have him put down.

The house just isn’t the same without Honey around. Alex and Jordan are playing with Play Dough. Keira is snoozing on the couch because she’s home from school with the pukies. Doug just left for work. And I’m writing this while missing my pup.

She might be able to come home today if there’s any progress or she will be spending the night at the vet’s. Something she has never done since we brought her home a year ago. Even when she was spayed I got to bring her home the same day.

So I worry about her. How she’s feeling. What she’s thinking about all the other animal noises. What she thinks about us abandoning her, which, of course, we didn’t, but does she know that?

It is amazing to me how attached we get to our pets. She is like one of my kids. She’s my baby. And when she’s hurting, I’m hurting.

Like now.



***Edited to add - I just spoke to Leah at the vet's office. Honey will be spending the night. She ate just a few bites of food at lunchtime today and has yet to ... well ... go. At all. :(

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Oh No! I hope Honey comes home soon, I can't imagine going through that with my puppies. My uncle is a Vet and when I lived at home we used to go down there and help him all the time with the sick animals. Hopefully She'll be able to um.."go" soon!