Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Wild & Wonderful Wednesday #17

Hello!  Welcome to another Wild & Wonderful Wednesday!

I truly have some wild and wonderful photos to share this week as the kids and I visited the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium on Monday.  It was a chilly but beautiful day and since the kids didn't have school, we thought it would be a fun thing to do.  It was mostly fun ... between all the whining, complaining, and fighting.  Gotta love kids.  Seriously, how did I get blessed with three headstrong children that all want to be in charge?  :)

Anyway, I took over 300 pictures (the beauty of digital photography) while at the zoo but I can't possibly share them all.  So here are just a few.

Sea Lion
The sea lions were one of the first exhibits we went to.  Thanks to the advice from my friend, Laura, we did the zoo backwards this time.  It was only about 28 degrees when we got there, so we headed to the aquarium first.  We passed the sea lions on our way there and they were having so much fun in the water, we stayed and watched them for a few minutes.

Shark
We went inside the Water's Edge building to check out the Sand Tiger Sharks.  Look at those teeth!  Yikes!  The kids kept waiting for the sharks to attack some fish that were also in the tank, but they didn't.  I was glad.  That would not have been pretty.

Fish
Next up was the aquarium.  This guy was in a tank outside the entrance and he seemed very curious about us.  Or else he just wanted us to feed him.  He kept coming up and opening his mouth really wide.

Penguin
I was so excited that the zoo wasn't super busy and we actually got to see the penguins up close.  It was feeding time while we were there, so that was fun to watch.  The penguins kept jumping in and out of the water after the fish.  This guy was either already full or just didn't feel like eating because he just hung out on the side and let me take his picture.  Doesn't he just look so soft and cuddly?

Jellyfish
The jellyfish are always interesting to watch.  And hard to photograph.

Star fish
My last photo for this week is this star fish.  They are the coolest creatures.  This one was stuck to the glass while all the others were on rocks.  Keira wanted to stay and watch him to see how far he could move while we were there.  That was about as interesting as watching grass grow, so we moved on.  :)


The Pittsburgh Zoo recently had a new addition ... a baby gorilla was born on February 9.  I was bummed that we didn't get to see it.  But I bought a zoo membership so we will be back plenty of times.  Hopefully next time I'll get to see that adorable little baby gorilla.  And more of the animals will be out.


Now it is your turn!  Link up your Wild & Wonderful photos below.  
Just a few things first ...
1.  Grab my button for your post and link up below (or at least use a text link) so others can find out about Wild & Wonderful Wednesday.  Thank you!
2.  Link up your post URL (or Flickr photo URL), not your blog URL.
3.  Photos must be yours please.
4.  Try to visit and comment on a few other linker uppers. 
5.  You have until Saturday at midnight to link up!

A Fresh Perspective




Also linking up with these lovely ladies ...
NapTime MomTog      Live and Love...Out Loud   and then, she {snapped}    

22 comments:

Susan said...

That shark photo makes me think twice about swimming in the ocean again!! Great shots :)

Unknown said...

First time participating here, hope you come over for a little visit! Thanks!!

Susan said...

What great shots! I especially love the shark photo! What big teeth he has! Ouch!

Nadege, said...

They are great shots, the shark's teeth are amazing.

Laura said...

Love the aquarium shots! I LOVE taking my little guy to the zoo. I went to school near PGH and never made it to the zoo there! We live 10 minutes from our local zoo and try to go at least once a week :)

Inspired By Felicity said...

Great photos! I'm getting your button to put on my blog so I'll remember to come back every week - I am your newest follower.

-Pamela, InspiredByFelicity.blogspot.com

scrapinbabygal said...

Wow!!! All of your photos are just incredible especially with all the detail you captured!! Especially love the otter and penguin! I love going to zoos so I am sure this was a wonderful day! :)

Rosie@leavesnbloom said...

Finally linking in Kimberly! I think the detail in that starfish is incredible. It's been years since I was last at the zoo.

Desirae R said...

Great shots. We took the kids on a spur of the moment trip to an aquarium on the weekend. Didn't have a camera though. Looks like a great place.

Pieni Lintu said...

I'm so glad that we don't have sharks here in Finland! :D It looks so scary!

Rainey said...

Awesome pictures! That shark is SCARY!! The sea lions are my favorite, although I'm not sure I like their new enclosure.

Unknown said...

You got some great shots! That shark picture is awesome! And a little scary. :)

EMily said...

That shark teeth photo is insane!

Unknown said...

It's always a fun day at the zoo!

Kristi Bonney said...

I just love the 3rd and last photos! :)

Gina Kleinworth said...

These are incredible!!!!!! WOW!

Anonymous said...

Those are some great shots! I really want to make it to the zoo some time this spring/summer.

Cordial Chaos said...

Great shots! I love the jelly fish!

Michelle said...

Great pictures...looks like a fun day.

Rain said...

Wow incredible shots! Fabulous day you all had! I love zoos-cant wait to take the little guy this summer!!~~Rain

Skye said...

Fabulous photos! I love the jellyfish! And you are so right about the penguins. Any time I go to the zoo, its too crowded to get close to those suckers at all! I love the first picture of the sea lion too!

deb duty said...

You really got some amazing shots! Sounds like so much fun. Our holiday is about over. I wish I had thought to go down to the aquarium in N.O. That would have been fun and lots of photo opps too!