Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Friday, January 6, 2012

Fitness Friday

So, I finally have something to contribute to Girl Talk's Fitness Friday.  I was doing really well until I hurt my knee in October.  I was down 25.5 pounds and was feeling good.  Really good.  Well, except for the knee.  Then I got lazy.  And stupid.  And wasn't being careful about what I ate when I wasn't exercising as much.  And I put 11 pounds back on.  Ugh.

But ...

I'm making some changes.  I bought Jillian Michaels' The Shred DVD for under ten bucks the the other day at Walmart.  I just finished day 3 this morning.  I hate it.  It hurts and I want to quit every time.  And I'm only on level 1.  My calves are killing me and I'm very aware of almost every muscle in my body.  But that is a good thing.  At least I know I'm doing something, right?  And I will keep going.

Also my husband just picked up a Wii Fit Plus with the exercise board this morning while shopping.  We set it up and tried it this evening.  It is fun!  It will definitely make it easier to get in some exercise.  But I will have to do it when the kids are at school so I can get a turn!  :)

The BMI indicator on the Wii Fit shows that I am slightly overweight.  Duh!

So my game plan is to do The Shred 5-6 days a week and add in some Wii Fit plus some occasional walking/running when the weather cooperates.  I wear a heart rate monitor when I exercise (which I will be guest posting about next Friday on Girl Talk, so be sure to stop by), which tells me how many calories I burn ... and I don't burn as many calories as I would like just doing The Shred.  The exercise itself lasts about 25 minutes and I only burn about 250 calories each time.  That's not enough for me.  Probably because when I was running for 30 minutes, I'd burn about 350-400 calories.  So I have that number in my head as my minimum for calorie burning.  So adding in some additional exercise should do the trick.

I also have gone three days without eating sweets.  That may not seem like a huge accomplishment to you, but it is to me.  I have a terrible weakness when it comes to sweets.  I had made banana bread last weekend and between Alex and myself, no one else got much of it.  Although Doug is the only other one who will eat it anyway.  But he mentioned to me that it seemed to disappear pretty quickly.  And I had to fess up that Alex and I scarfed it down.  Ouch.  Nothing like having to admit you failed.  Especially to your husband.

Also I have started reading the book Made to Crave again.  That book is one big reason why I did so well last summer/fall in losing the weight that I did.  It really made me think about my choices and made me realize that God cares about everything.  Even my lack of strength to resist sweets.  So I relied on Him A LOT.  But since then I haven't, and I need to get back to that.  To HIM.  I joined an online study for Made to Crave also - that starts on January 15.  If you'd like to sign up, just click on this link ... Made to Crave.

I'm also going to start logging my food intake and exercise on My Fitness Pal.  I started to last summer, but got lazy about that too.

So I guess my biggest problem has been laziness.  :)  But I'm making changes.  Positive changes.  And I will be relying on God's strength to get me there.

6 comments:

Rainey said...

Go Kim! You can do it!! The Wii Fit is fun, huh. I set mine up downstairs and plan to start using it more starting next week.

Gretchen said...

You can do it!!! I have a major love/hate relationship with Jillian. I've finished the 30 day shred and recently finished the Ripped in 30. Can't say I'm totally shredded or ripped, but I like how strong I feel after I finish one of her routines! Looking forward to hearing about your successes! =)

Melissa said...

You can do it, girl! I'm cheering for you! I'm excited that you are doing Made to Crave again! So am i! :)

P.S. I love Banana Bread. Mmmmmm. ;)

Laura said...

If you keep doing the Shred it will eventually feel easier. And you will feel stronger. Promise!!

Katie said...

Good job getting back to it! The beginning is the hardest, just push through that and you will see results!

Gina Kleinworth said...

I think it's great that you are working on it. Injuries can really set you back. I would love to hear more about this video- does it require any additional equipment- or is it more cardio? I need to be doing the same. This past week we spent getting back into the school schedule. I am hoping this week I am able to add time in where I can be left alone & just exercise. I started recording certain episodes on FitTV- so I am hoping I can get going on those & start making the scale go in the other direction! hehehe