Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Thursday, October 13, 2011

Autumn Leaves

I don't know about you, but I think the leaves are absolutely gorgeous this fall.  I don't remember them being this beautiful last year.  Or perhaps I'm just more aware of them this year ... looking for photo opportunities.  :)

Did you know that the fall colors - yellows, oranges, and reds - come from sugars produced by the trees?  Each type of sugar has its own color ... carotenoids are yellow and orange, while anthocyanins are red.  The reason we don't see these colors during the rest of the year is because they are masked by the green chlorophyll, which converts light from the sun into food for the tree.

As the days grow shorter and darker, less light from the sun is available, so the tree stops producing chlorophyll.  This allows the brilliant colors of autumn to shine through.  Eventually, these chlorophyll-stripped leaves cost the tree more to keep than they give back to it in energy, so it protects itself by producing a substance to seal off the leaves from the rest of the tree.  Eventually the nutrient-starved leaves fall off and die.

So there's your science lesson for the day.  While I'd like to take credit for all that wonderful information, it was actually taken from The Farmer's Almanac website.  :)  Here's another good article with more details on how/why leaves change color.  The kids and I will be talking about this tonight after school.

Speaking of leaves ... here are my edits for Shoot & Edit/Good to WOW!
Leaves1and5-edit

Leaves3and4-edit
I just did the usual simple edits in ACR on all 4 of these.  The only "extra" thing I did was on the photo of Alex with his walking stick ... I did a little dodging/burning on his face to make it a little brighter.  It was a little too shadowy for me.  It is still a bit dark, but I didn't want to overdo the correction.


Leaves2-edit-texture
Again simple edits in ACR, then I added Kim Klassen's Yesteryear texture twice and lowered the opacity on each layer until I liked the result.  You can mouse over the photo to see the clean edit.




The Daily Wyatt




Leaves6 edit-color bar
I have wanted to try The CoffeeShop Blog's color bar template for a while now and this seemed like the perfect photo.  Although Liza seems a little scrunched so I'm wondering if I did something wrong.  I'll just have to go back and play some more.  Anyway, I love how the color bar pulls out the colors in the photo that you may not have noticed.



Leaf bokeh
Last, just some more simple tweaks in ACR.  And I adjusted the white balance.  Mouse over to see the SOOC version.
     


To see more great leaf edits and to find out what Misty from Through a Photographer's Eyes has to teach us this week, head over to Ashley's.
Good to WOW
Next week's Shoot & Edit theme is pumpkins.  That should be an easy one for me ... we have 18 of them decorating my deck!  It's like we have our own personal pumpkin patch.  :)


Hope you are having a wonderful day!  After a cold, rainy day yesterday, the sun has decided to peek out from behind the clouds for a bit this afternoon.  So I'm headed outside to enjoy it.  Have a great Thursday!

14 comments:

Cedar said...

Oh my! What a gorgeous location and fun family shots! The last two are beautiful, too! I LOVE the bokeh in the last one!

Betty Manousos said...

what beautiful shots and texture!

looks like you all had a great day!

lovely family pictures!

Betty Manousos said...

...wow your kids are soo cute!!

Ashley Sisk said...

All so beautiful and I loved the science lesson. I did not know that!

deb duty said...

I'm more aware of everything since I got into photography. Your fall photos are gorgeous. I especially love the leaf close up.

Ellie said...

Your pictures are beautiful - all those leaves. Isn't Autumn wonderful. And I learned something new as well - I didn't know that's how the leaves got their colour. Thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

Nice!

And Liza def does look a little squished haha. :)

Misty said...

These are gorgeous. Wish we got fall colors like that around here. You saw how I had to hunt for some. :)

Gretchen said...

Our sun came out for about 5 minutes today... and the storms since those 5 minutes have been crazy! I've been thinking the colors were more vivid too! I think the rain has been good for the colors! Great edits... still LOVE that last shot! =)

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Love the fall colors. Some of our trees are changing here, but it is not beautiful like up north. Love seeing your pictures.

Jennifer said...

I loved this group to begin with... and think you did a fine job on those edits!! I still adore your post from Monday which fills us in on this friendship, that was nice to read!

Anonymous said...

Great Edits, Kim! Looking at your photos remind me of all the reasons I love fall!

That is so neat about why the leaves change to different colours! :)

Lou Belcher said...

I love the last edit the best. Beautiful shot.

Lou

ShonEjai said...

Beautiful! I love each photo!