Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Thursday, December 23, 2010

A funeral at Christmas

There's never a convenient time for a family member to die.  But when it happens around Christmas, it seems especially hard.  For everyone involved.


My Aunt Carol died on Wednesday morning.  She'd been through a lot this year -- undergoing several surgeries -- but was doing very well.  She was getting out on her own again.  She'd moved back into her apartment after having stayed with her daughter, Kelly, and her family for months.


The doctors say she had a stroke and had massive bleeding in her brain.  This happened on Monday afternoon.  The tests they did showed no brain activity.  So the family had to let her go.  A decision that could not have been easy to make.


She was 65 years old.


I'm sad for Kelly and Pete, her two grown children.  And for my mom, who is her big sister.  They were close.  They got together often to play cards and enjoy each other's company.  Carol was Kelly's best friend.  And Carol adored her two granddaughters, Kelly's girls.


So we'll be getting together for Christmas with family, but under much different circumstances than we'd imagined.  I'll be driving to Pittsburgh tomorrow (about an hour) for the viewing, two of my brothers will go on Sunday.  Then the three of us will go to the funeral Monday morning.


If you would, please say a prayer for the family as they grieve.  And for traveling mercies for those that will be driving.  The forecast is calling for ice/snow mix overnight tonight with snow in the morning.  Not favorable driving conditions.


I'd really hoped to stay home tomorrow and enjoy the kids and just go out in the evening to Christmas Eve service at our church.  Keira will be playing her violin with the orchestra.  She's excited to play.


I hope you all have a Blessed Christmas.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

praying for you family dear!

Melissa said...

So sorry, kim. praying for the family.

Laura said...

:(

Praying for the whole family.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you all!

kathryn said...

Oh, honey. I'm so sorry for your loss. You're right: It's never a good time...but how sad that your aunt was doing better.

The first year will SUCK....I can tell you that. The first everything w/o the one you love. After that, your heart still squeezes...but the tears don't flow as much.

My thoughts & prayers are with your family.