Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Dear Santa, There's going to be a change ...

Alex brought the following letter home from Preschool today.  I don't know who the author is, but I concur.


Dear Santa Claus,


You'll probably be surprised to receive this letter from an adult.  You may be even more surprised as you read to find that the writer is neither a maiden aunt nor a disgruntled bachelor.  I'm a young mother.


It isn't my intention, Santa, to hurt your feelings.  You see, my family has paid tribute to you for many past Christmases: my husband and I when we were in our childhood; now our children who are 6, 4, and 2.  They still care for you.  How much they care has really  proved a problem in recent years.  It is threatening to happen again.


Our children worship you.  They speak of you constantly.  They watch diligently for your December 25 appearance.  Can you tell us, Santa, what you have done to deserve this faithfulness from two generations?  Can you promise any future consideration in exchange for past loyalties???


During a family crisis, have you ever told us, "Lo, I am with you always"?  Were you ever with us during sorrow to comfort us with these words:  "But your sorrow will be turned into joy"?  And Santa, there have been doubtful times.  Where were you?  We didn't hear from you the calming message, "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."


We have come to a conclusion that you have been even less than a friend should be.  And we've been shortchanged.  My three children have stood on a windy, cold main street just to get a glimpse of your jolly face.  They have written heartfelt yearly letters.  They have gone to department stores to whisper in your ear.  They have worked hard at being good in anticipation of your Christmas Eve visit.  Yes, they've done all this -- as their father and I did before them.


But there's going to be a change this Christmas.  There isn't going to be any Santa Claus worship in our home.  We've decided to focus our attention and adoration on another BEING -- ONE who has stood by us the other 364 days this past year; ONE who comforted us during the sorrowful and doubtful times -- and yes, in times of crisis also.


It's true that your name will probably be mentioned around our house, Santa.  Old habits are hard to break abruptly.  But SOMEONE else's name will be mentioned much more often.  The children will probably work just as hard at being good, but I hope they will do it for another inducement -- one that will last the whole year long -- to bring glory to ANOTHER'S name.  That other ONE has given us so much more -- not just on Christmas Eve.


You may call our family fickle, Santa, but we won't mind.  On this December 25th, and all through the year, we want a COMFORTER, a HEALER, and strengthening KING.  We don't want a myth any longer.


We've talked it over.  This year we've decided to give tribute, honor, and worship to SOMEONE who really deserves them -- to the TRUE GIVER -- our God and Saviour, Jesus Christ.


Farewell,
A Young Mother

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Kimberly this is awesome! It's exactly what we are trying to acheive in our house. Can I steal it? :)

Laura said...

This perfectly explains my thoughts... much nicer than when I wrote them out myself hahaha. It's the "worship" of Santa. I feel that many parents focus more on keeping Santa alive to their kids than they do teaching them that Jesus IS ALIVE.

Santa should not be the highlight with Jesus as a side story.

Anonymous said...

This is great~ perfectly stated!
Thanks for sharing. I will be copying it and sending it on.
Nancy