Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Friday, October 15, 2010

There is no magic pill

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time now, you will know that I, like many others, have been on a weight loss journey.  And that I've now lost a total of 20 pounds.  (Can I get a woot woot?!)  :)


I have done it the old-fashioned way.  Through diet and exercise.  Well, mostly exercise.  My diet could always be better.


But what I find funny, or maybe sad, is when people see me who maybe haven't seen me for a while and they ask how I did it (lost the weight).  I tell them I started running and being more conscious of what I eat.  Oftentimes they will be like, "Oh.  Well, good for you."  Like they are disappointed that I didn't tell them about some great diet I have been on or some magic pill I've been taking.


There is no magic pill, people!


And "diets" don't work!  Well, they will sometimes work while you are on them, but as soon as you get off the "diet" the weight will usually come back on.  And then some.


Americans spend a staggering amount of money on diets and diet pills.  Something like $45 billion per  year!  And rising!  And yet we are the fattest nation in the world!!  What does that tell you?!


Losing weight is hard.  Exercising can be hard.  Eating right can be hard.  Which is probably why our country is so fat.  We don't like to do things that are hard.  We are lazy.


I like to be lazy too.  But I have found that I feel so much better after I exercise.  I don't necessarily like to exercise, but I realize that it is necessary if I'm going to meet my goals.


And I have way more energy than I did this time last year.  I was thinking about that this week while I was outside raking up leaves for Alex to jump in.  Last year and the year before I got so winded.  I'd have to take breaks often.  This year, no problem.  I raked the leaves up and still had energy to play in them.


While Alex and I were at the playground the other day a grandmother and her grandson walked past me.  The boy said, "Grandma, you're slow."  Her response, "Well, grandma's are supposed to be slow."  I thought to myself, I don't want to have to say that to my grandkids someday.  I want to be able to keep up with them.


That is why it is called a lifestyle change.  Because it is for life.  Treat your body as a temple.


Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore, honor God with your body.  ~ 1 Corinthians 6:19-20


Here's the "magic formula" ... eat less, move more.


[Stepping off my soap box now.]  


:)

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Amen, & amen. Haha. Great job, too! :)

Laura said...

All of it's true!

However I've been eating more and moving less! AAAAAAHH! Gotta turn it back around haha. I'm kind of tired of exercising in the mornings and want to change my daily routine around because there are things I want to do in the mornings. Problem is that once I'm up and showered I won't go to the gym and I have to shower every morning. Gonna have to do some thinking on this one. Ugh. And I'm totally bored with the exercise I've been doing. I need a sport. :(

Jenn said...

Congrats!!! That's awesome!!! I totally agree as well!! Too many people don't want to do the work involved in being healthy and fit, so they turn to the 'magic pills' that are supposed to do the work for you!!

Kim said...

You took the words right out of my mouth! I'm thinking about writing a post for girl talk about my struggles with weightloss. It is a constant battle.