Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Sunday, January 31, 2010

Do you take things personally?

I lost a follower overnight. When I went to bed last night I had 11. Today I’m down to 10.

Don’t get me wrong … I’m very excited to have 10 followers. I had even started a blog post about that wonderful fact before Keira got sick. But then I suddenly had 11 and the post never got finished because we were in the hospital and it wasn’t relevant anymore anyway.

I’m trying not to take it personally, but it is hard … because my blog is personal. And someone deciding not to read it anymore hurts a little.

I will get over it though. I’m just a little bummed today.

Thank you to the rest of you who have stuck around! I truly appreciate it and am humbled by the fact that you find me interesting. Or amusing. Or whatever. At least you are here! :)

So my question is … do you take things personally? Like when someone un-follows your blog. Does that bother you? Or do you have so many followers that you don’t even notice? :)

I’m not there. Yet.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Too funny... because I was JUST talking to Mike about this and then I saw that you wrote about it.

I don't take it personally. I subscribe and unsubscribe from blogs all the time. Sometimes it turns out that a blog isn't quite what I thought it was going to be. Or I just lose interest. Or I realize I just don't have time to read all the blogs so I have to get rid of some.

Other people have that same right too I guess haha.

Plus... I blog for me. I think it is when you start blogging for others that you can start to care more about how many followers you have and how many comments you get.

Sure those things are nice and can make it fun. I make it so that people can "follow" my blog to make it convenient for them so they don't always have to type in my link to see if I posted again. But when my number drops I just say oh well.

Don't take it personally. Just keep blogging for you. Be yourself. And enjoy it.

Plus... sometimes people will "un-follow" simply because when they decided to follow you you never followed them to "return the favor". You don't need those readers. :)

Anonymous said...

I'd try not to take it too personally. Your blog is for you, sure it's nice to have followers and know that others enjoy it,but in the end it's for you and your family.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Laura! I can always count on you to be the voice of reason. :)

I do blog for me and I will continue even if I lose all of my followers. Because I do enjoy it. A lot.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sheri! I'm just one of those people that takes things personally even if they weren't meant to be. You know? But I also bounce back pretty quickly, so I'm good now. Thanks for stopping by!

f8hasit said...

I've got alot of followers, many of them showed up when I was chosen as
'blog of note'. Too many for me to go 'see' who everyone was, but wonderful in a way that I found manyother blogs (like yours) from when you commented on mine.

However, I've lost a few followers over the last few weeks. And although I think that that's fine, and probably expected, it still makes you wonder "why?".

Keep writing for you.
That's what this is all about anyway.
At least that's what I do. When it's not fun for me anymore, that's when I'll stop.

I really enjoy your photo a day blog. It's grand!
:-)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Nancy. I feel the same way - when it starts stressing me out to post to my blog, I will take a break or stop altogether. In the meantime, I will write for me.

Oh, and thanks for stopping by my Project 365 blog!

kathryn said...

I don't think anyone is immune to feeling that twinge of disappointment when you see someone no longer interested in what you have to say. (At least, that's how I interpret it in my head.) The truth is, it's probably less about being disinterested and more about them having totally differing interests from yours...and that has to be okay. (It's not like we have a choice!) Keep visiting new places (off sidebars of ppl you already love) and flw & comment...they should reciprocate.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one to feel a little hurt when someone leaves. Misery loves company, right? :)

Seriously though, thank you all for your kind words and encouragement! It means a lot!