Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Photo of the Day: September 14

September 14
ISO 800, f/11, 1/30s, 18-55mm lens on Nikon D40 w/10x macro filter, Kim Klassen's Warm Sun & Love textures applied
Doug and the kids came across this crazy-looking caterpillar this afternoon.  After checking him out for a while and doing a little research, I learned that it is a Spicebush Swallowtail caterpillar in its final larval stage - ready to pupate.  So we're keeping it until it becomes a butterfly.  I just love to watch nature in action!  And if I can't find any Monarchs, I'll find something else!  :)




The Daily Wyatt


NapTime MomTog        Click It Up A Notch   

24 comments:

Ashley Sisk said...

That thing does look crazy - I thought it was a toy.

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

awesome, such a cool find

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Wonderful capture! He looks amazing.

In Everything said...

WOW!! Very cool find! And amazing pic of him:)

Heidi said...

WOW! I thought that it was a fish in some clear water with sand underneath... can you see it? Really neat shot-thanks for coming to the Hollah!!

Anonymous said...

wow!!! That is awesome! Such a cool caterpillar. Can't wait to see what it becomes. How cool.

Laura said...

Such a cool picture!!

Roan said...

I've seen caterpillars like this only green. Not sure what they are. Nice shot!

EMily said...

Wow...that's crazy?!

Kmcblackburn said...

Visiting from "I learned"....EWWWWWW, lol. I thought that was going to be a toy. Can't believe it is a living THING! :). What a capture tho!

Kathy

www.youllshootyoureyeout-kathy.blogspot.com

Susan said...

What a great find, and amazing picture! Hope you get a butterfly!

Amber said...

I am with Ashley....I thought it was a toy or a goldfish. Very cool and awesome detail. I look forward to seeing photos of it as it transforms into a butterfly.

Yvonne said...

Wow! So gross but I can't look away ahaha
Great photo!

Anonymous said...

Love the focus:)

Gina Kleinworth said...

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!He's so shiny- incredible shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christina said...

Awesome! Every time I see a shot of one of these, I think it's a toy! lol! The detail is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I, too, thought it was a toy! Very neat find and capture.

Unknown said...

Okay I thought this was a fish! haha! how cool I am totally digging this! :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, I thought that was some type of fish at first!

Gretchen said...

Wonderful find!!! AND great capture of it!! =)

Unknown said...

Wow! This is so amazing. Can't wait to see it as a butterfly!

Saun said...

It looks like its ceramic. I want to see it when it turns into a butterfly.

Angee @ October Morning said...

Wow! This is amazing!

Kristin said...

You always seem to find the coolest bugs I've ever seen. I'm learning so much from your site, not just about photography but about unusual creatures as well. Thanks for the education.