Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Tuesday, January 4, 2011

First Basketball Game

Keira had her first basketball game this evening.  And I learned something about myself.  But I'll get to that in a minute.


The girls did their best.  With what they knew.  Keira's team had 7 girls total.  The other team had about 15 girls.  That made me wonder how the people at the YMCA who were in charge of splitting the teams up thought that was a good idea.  I'm curious to see how many players the other 2 teams have.  We'll find out on the 25th when Keira's team has a double-header.


Anyway, I won't go into all the gory details but Keira's team got creamed.  Mutilated.  Pummeled.  You pick the term you want.  At half time the score was 24-4.  Another mom and I were talking about whether they call the games early because of mercy, like I think they do in baseball.  But they didn't.


What they did do was take the scores back down to zero for the second half.  The score for the second half?  18-4.  Yeah.  But at least the girls didn't have to see a score of 42-8.  Yikes!


Anyway, what did I learn about myself?  That I don't make a good sideline mom.  I tend to say what I think.  Not to anyone in particular.  I'm not sure how many games I can sit through.  I don't see myself as a screaming-at-the-coach-or-ref kind of person.  Maybe internally, but never out loud.  :)


I know the girls are learning.  They are supposed to be playing for fun.  In fact, one of Keira's teammates dads said that.  "But they're having fun."  I thought, really?  Would you be having fun if you were getting your butt whooped?  Really?  They didn't look like they were having fun.  They looked tired.  And sweaty.  And discouraged. 


I felt bad for them.  They were good sports about the whole thing.  And perhaps this will motivate them to practice harder.  One of the girls that played never even came to a practice. How do you do that?  Just show up and expect to play a game with people you've never practiced with.  Now she may have very good reasons for not coming to a practice, but still.  I hope she shows up to at least a few from here on out.


Keira didn't cry or anything on the way home which was good.  We talked about a few things that she did well and a few things she could improve on.  Not that I know diddley-squat about basketball.  But I do know that you do whatever you can to keep the other team from scoring. Within the rules of the game of course.


So three more practices before the next game.  I don't really care if they lose.  I just hope they don't get blown out of the water like they did tonight.


That would not be fun.

2 comments:

Life is 5 Minutes Long said...

Our oldest son is on the wrestling team and I found I am not a good sideline mom either. At every match I leave angry. I do not know if it's because the sport is so aggresive or if I just want us to win. Whatever it is I have to remind myself constantly that I am a Christian and I need to behave as such. Jenn

Mrs. Frogster said...

awww. That must have been hard to watch. I don't know how I would handle that!
I wanted to say thank you for your encouraging comment on my blog yesterday. Thanks for being faithful to my blog, even when i wasn't very faithful at posting! :) Your comments make my day!