Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Monday, October 25, 2010

What Would I Do?

The other day I received the following email  from a Mr.Clifford Gilly...


Congratulation!!!   (Yes, it was missing the "s" at the end!)


Greetings to you,

On behalf of the Bill Gates Microsoft donation, we wish to notify you as a
beneficiary of $500,000.00 USD in compensation. The Bill Gate foundation
have started the arrangement to give away $10,000,000,000.00 before the
end of 2011 and the search is done randomly with active email address in
the Microsoft system.

Do contact us with details as requested below for verification and release
of your $500,000.00 USD.

Please if you are willing to accept the funds, do get back to the Director
of the Bill Gate Microsoft donation with the following details:


[1] Full Names:________________
[2] Contact address______________________________
[3] Direct Telephone No: ___________________
|4| Occupation : ____________________________

You can read this link for more information:

www.doyoureallythinkIamdumbenoughtoclickonyourlink.com


Yours Faithfully,
Mr.Clifford Gilly
Bill Gates Foundation.
New York, USA



IF I am willing to accept the funds?  Well, gee thanks, Mr. Gilly, but I think I'll NOT click on the link and possibly infect my laptop with some crazy trojan or virus.  I just got the desktop computer fixed.  Yikes!  Plus he put "Bill Gate" instead of Bill Gates.  Twice.


Maybe Kathryn can look into this for me?  Since she's tight with Bill and all.  What do ya say, Kathryn?  :)


So anyway, I thought it would be fun to dream a little.  What would I do if $500,000 got dropped into my lap?  Hmmm ...


Of course, I would donate some.  A lot actually.  To my church.  To the American Cancer Society.  To Samaritan's Purse.  Just to name a few.


I would pay off our house.  Then pay someone to finish the work on our house.  Then we would sell our completely finished, paid-off house and buy something somewhere that we really liked.  Like Tennessee.  I don't know why, but I'd like to live in Tennessee.  Although I would NOT become a Titans fan.  No way.  Not gonna happen.  :)


I would take a cruise.  I've never been and I think I would love it.  Probably an Alaskan cruise, that way Doug would actually want to go with me.  He's not into tropical places.  He prefers the cold.  Although we would not go when it is cold.  That would defeat the purpose of taking a vacation.


I would take the kids to Disney.  We've been talking about it for a while and we just haven't gotten around to starting that savings plan yet.  Still working on the full emergency fund.


Oh, which is another thing I would finish.  The emergency fund.  That would actually go higher up on my list.


I would buy a new DSLR camera.  Like a Nikon D3100.  Not that I don't like my current camera but they have ones now that record video.  How cool is that?!  I almost never use my video camera anymore.  But I would love to have on record some things about the kids.  Like Alex's giggle.  And Nick's ability to tell a really good fish tale.  And Keira's violin music.  Okay, so now I'm going to have to break out the video camera and record those things.


I would buy Doug a new-to-him truck.  Whatever he wanted.


Then I would buy myself a newer vehicle.  I'm not sure if I'd get another van or an SUV.  A big gas-guzzling Cadillac Escalade?  Or a Honda Odyssey?  With "magic" doors.  :)


And if I still had money left over, I'd buy a few horses to have on our property in Tennessee.  Because we'd have enough property to have horses.


Is that too practical of a list?  Am I not dreaming big enough?  I guess I'm just not into all the material things.


What would you do with $500,000?

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh, you gotta love emails like that! I would pay off Jeff's college loan, buy his mom a house, donate lots of it to various places, go on a vacay to Australia, adopt a baby (Jeff would never agree to this though!!) and save some. Jeff would probably pay off his college loan and save the rest!

Laura said...

Nice list! My in-law's LOVE Alaskan cruises. I don't think I will ever go on a cruise because I am afraid I would be sick the whole time. I get bad motion sickness. Blah.

I would probably spend $250,000 to buy a nice house. $50,000 to decorate it. (I would love to have new furniture and do whatever I wanted with a house!) $5,000 on camera stuff. Mike would spend a little and we would probably invest the rest. Yeah... practical. But that's where we are at right now.

kathryn said...

Oh, Clifford. What are we gonna do with our silly Bill Gate friend, Clifford?

I'm sure he and Bill are best buds...not as close as WE are...but, ya know.

I love your plan for the green...maybe we should start playing the lottery, just to cover all our bases!

Melissa said...

i hate those emails! haven't gotten one yet, though! what i really hate is the phone calls! that's what we get! we let it go to the answering machine (yes, we still have a house phone). "please call back immediately to claim your brand new cars!" RIGGHHHHHT.

But it's nice to dream. I would pay off debt FIRST. Then, I would buy a house. Right away. HAHA. I don't want a mansion, just a nice house with 4 bedrooms & a wrap around porch. I would spend money on the kind of decor i love. And i would go on vacation. :) To somewhere i've never been! I've wanted to go to Italy or Hawaii for awhile now...

I would also give some - to friends i know who need it - maybe those going on missions trips. I think it'd be awesome to fund a teen's mission trip. :) & to the american cancer society for sure.