Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A quick update on Keira



Keira had her follow-up appointment with the Orthopedic Surgeon on Monday.  All went well.  We got there early and had to wait at least 30 minutes past her appointment time to finally get called back.  Typical doctor's office, I guess.  Thankfully I remembered to grab the book she's been reading and a magazine for myself so we weren't completely bored.  And a friend was able to watch Alex, so he wasn't there being terribly bored also.


We didn't actually see a doctor though.  We saw a nurse practitioner.  His name was Francis but he went by Fran.  I've never heard of a man going by the name of Fran, but whatever.  He was incredibly handsome.  To bad he was named Francis.  :)


Anyway, he said because of the type of fracture and the location, she would not get a cast.  They would keep it in the sling and swath.  Although they did give her a smaller one since the one she got at the hospital was too loose.  (Well, they didn't "give" it to her.  Our insurance will be paying for it. :)  She likes the new one much better.  She said it is much more comfortable.  Except that it makes her really hot at school since the temps have been in the 90's the past few days.  And they will remain there for the next few days.  Ugh!


We will go back weekly for a couple weeks to get her arm X-rayed to be sure it is healing properly and the bone hasn't moved.  He said if it were going to move, it would happen in the first few weeks.


She's not allowed to do much.  No gym.  No violin.  No raising her left arm at all.  And she's bummed because she wanted to run in the September 11 5K race with me and obviously won't be able to.  


She was complaining tonight about not being able to shave her armpit.  I told her not to worry about it since no one was going to see it anyway.  :)  Although I wouldn't be happy about that either.  I can see her point.


Hopefully she will heal quickly with no complications.


And she won't go in anymore of those big blow-up bouncy things.

3 comments:

kathryn said...

Oh, honey! I'm so sorry for your baby girl! There must be something in the air, 'cause Taylor broke his hand a mere 4 days into college life.

So I'm dealing with the orthopedist as well. I'm sorry she's so uncomfortable...but it would probably be worse with a hard cast, right?

Small consolation, I know...

Melissa said...

i am so sorry about kiera's arm! i can't really read the details. b/c i'm weird. (seriously - if i read or hear about broken bones i get REALLY nauseous. This is unrelated to the migraines LOL. i can handle blood, guts, watching surgery, etc, but can't deal w/ broken bones. LOL.)

Jenna said...

bless hear heart! Hope she's feeling ok! Too bad the hot doctors name was francis...what mother would do that?? ha