Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Tuesday, September 8, 2015

My Poor Neglected Blog

I took an unexpected hiatus from blogging.  These lovelies have been keeping me very busy lately.

Monarch male

Monarch female

Monarch caterpillar

Monarch female

Monarch laying egg

This male has a unique coloration on his wing.
Unique Monarch Male Butterfly

We are looking at possibly raising over 1,000 Monarchs this year.  If all the caterpillars/eggs that we found make it to butterflydom.  :)

Our local newspaper interviewed me last week and the article was in the weekend paper.  That was exciting!  I don't know if you will be able to read the article.  I took pictures of it with my phone.  But here it is.  We got a whole page and then some!!!

Butler Eagle1

Butler Eagle2

In addition to Monarchs, we also have Black Swallowtails.

Pretty Black Swallowtail girls

Black Swallowtail - female

Black Swallowtail male

I love the different markings of these two caterpillars.
Black Swallowtail caterpillars

And we have some Spicebush Swallowtail caterpillars.  They will go into chrysalis, spend the winter with us, and emerge next spring.  Something to look forward to!  The caterpillars are brown, then green, then turn yellow or orange right before they pupate.  This one was ready to form its chrysalis when I took its picture.

Spicebush Swallowtail caterpillar

It is now in chrysalis.  I will share a photo of it someday.  :)

Gotta run.  Feeding so many caterpillars takes A LOT of time.

Linking with Tamar today.



4 comments:

Ohmydearests said...

How wonderful to 'raise' butterflies! And your images are just incredibly beautiful!

Tamar SB said...

You've had a monarch filled summer!

Ida said...

Oh my stars these are just stunning and oh so beautiful.

Liz said...

Such gorgeous crisp images of your butterflies! It must be wonderful to watch their life cycle!